Robert Neuwirth, author of “Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World”, estimates that more than a billion people–thats 1 in 7–are squatters. This week, we visit squats in Venezuela and the Philippines, and find out why squatters aren’t just tolerated…they are crucial to the growth of major cities and national economies.
- Robert Neuwirth, author of “Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World”
- Filomena Cinco, Barangay captain of Estero de San Miguel
- Luz Sudueste, Urban Poor Associates organizer
- William Gonzalez, Gladys Flores, Jacqueline Calderon and Yolimar Noriega, Toree David residents
- Andres Antillano, Universidad Central de Venezuela professor & activist for squatters’ rights.
Direct download: squat2.mp3
-- posted at: 12:52pm PDT